Friday, March 27, 2009

Kalene's Biodata (revised)

My name is Kalene. I am a Year 3 Life Science Major from National University of Singapore (NUS), concentrating in Biomedical Science. As a highly motivated learner, I take up many modules from a myriad of different fields including marketing, economics, communications and language. The exposure to different learning experiences has developed my flexibility and allowed me to adapt to changes quickly.

To get as much out of my tertiary education in NUS as possible, I applied for Student Exchange Programme to Boston University successfully. This exchange developed my independence and resilience. My time management skills were further honed as I played hard and studied hard. In my 4-month stint in Boston, I planned my travelling trips and had travelled extensively to several places. To name a few, I had been to Los Angeles, Toronto, New York and Ottawa. In addition, my outlook of the world has been broadened from my exposure to the different cultures and mindset of the Americans, as well as friends from other countries. As such, I have learned to communicate and interact with people from different cultural backgrounds.

Also, I sought for and obtained a 3-month internship with Genome Institute of Singapore during the summer break in Year 2008. From this experience, I learnt relevant practical skills that are applicable to the life science industry. In addition, it had not only developed my tenacity due to the failure-prone nature of research but had also given me a taste of research in real-life.

In addition to my interest in learning, I have been actively involved in volunteerism since junior college. This year, I am participating in VietnamJUMP 2009 which is an overseas humanitarian trip. From these volunteering activities, I have come to understand that no single individual’s efforts can make any activity a success. This understanding has further emphasised the importance of teamwork and team spirit.

Being an empathetic and compassionate individual, I went for Community First Aid course held by Red Cross Society. In addition, I sought for attachment to Changi General Hospital and successfully obtained a 1-week attachment to General Surgery Ward in Year 2006. The attachment had demonstrated the advantages of being able to speak more than one language. When speaking to people of other races or other dialects, being able to communicate with them in the language they are comfortable with certainly helps in developing greater rapport.

As such, my ability to speak three languages, namely English, Mandarin and Dialects, is certainly an advantage in a cosmopolitan country like Singapore. I have also taken up Bahasa Melayu so as to build greater rapport with my Malay counterparts.

Prior to my entry to NUS, I was actively involved in Temasek Junior College Chinese Orchestra. Being a Wind and Percussion Sectional Leader, I was responsible for ensuring my members play their pieces well and to get them to turn up for practices. This had developed my communication skills and leadership skills. I had to be tactful and yet bring across my point in a way that my members would interprete accurately. In SYF 2005, we were awarded Gold.

Due to my academic excellence and good CCA record in Temasek Junior College, I was awarded Edusave Awards for Achievement, Good Leadership and Services (EAGLES) in Year 2005. My experience in junior college had inculcated in me the steel determination and perseverance to overcome all odds to achieve my aim of faring well in the academic field, as well as in my CCA.

Work-wise, I had a 6-month stint in Phang & Co Advocates & Solicitors in Year 2006. As a secretarial assistant, I had to screen my boss’s phone calls, liaised with customers, handled administrative matters and was responsible for a few projects. This experience had honed my multi-tasking skills and further developed my communication skills.

As can be seen, I have gathered experiences of many different natures. I like to experiment, gain exposure to different natures of activities, step beyond my comfort zone and seek to continuously improve myself. Given my positive attitude towards learning and ability to work well in a team as well as individually, I am confident of contributing to the company.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Kalene,

    Wow! A very detailed description of your abilities based on schools and your various attachments with companies.

    Your active participation in a wide spectrum of activities ranging from languages and volunteer work definitely gives you an edge over others.

    Maybe the length of your biodata could be shorter to sustain the attention of readers. But nevertheless, i enjoyed reading it and it is very well-written!

    Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

    Johny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hieyo SHM!!

    The blog entry actually spans over a page on Microsoft Words. And, I have left out another half-page so that I won't make reading my blog such a torture. Haha. Ok, so it is still long.

    I will keep this in mind - to be concise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kalene,

    This is a long entry with 600 over words. :x

    Nevertheless it’s a detailed one and well-explained. You may like to cut down the length by emphasizing the key experiences and skills learnt such as in internship, SEP and community involvement projects. The rest could be mention briefly. As too long an entry, readers (eg future employers) may not be encouraged to read.

    I enjoy reading it too, and your biodata had showed your confidence as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I agree that you should shorten it too.

    As what Jane mentioned, you may want to cut down on less important activities like the Salsa class and emphazise more on the internship and SEP experiences.

    But on the whole, this biodata shows that you are a well-rounded person! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to remember a 200-250 word limit...

    Anyway, you write clearly and with flow, so your missive is not a chore to read.

    I would say focus on things that other students/applicants don't have - on what makes you unique and better than them. I imagine someone of your caliber will be applying for good, highly competitive jobs. As such, I'd assume that most applicants will have gone done industry internships (am I correct in this, or is that not the case here?). I'd focus on your breadth. Having broad interests is one thing, but actively pursuing them as you have is quite another. (I assume this is why you chose to lead off with this).

    Your volunteer activities become slightly redundant. They could probably be grouped together.

    "In Year 2007, I participated in Ren Ci Charity organized by NUS NVAC which required a group of 100 volunteers to get together and create formations." What do you mean by "formations?"

    Also, consider saying where you studied when you went abroad. It is the first thing I thought when I read that part. Did you decide this was not relevant?

    Overall, I'd certainly hire you, or at least call you in for an interview :D.

    Cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johny, Jane, Yuan and Matt!!

    I have improved on my biodata based on the suggestions all of you have given. I eliminated the less important and elaborated on the more important. As such, the length of my biodata doesn't seem to have such difference after revising...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kalene,

    I definitely see a more concise biodata where you state the relevant abilities and emphasizing the strengths and abilities derived from the activities.

    Like what Matt said, a Job Lobang is definitely on the way!

    Johny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kalene

    I like the way you presented your biodata. You sure try to make full use of your time. These experiences would help you find your desired jobs. Your most important trait is your willingness to learn and it should be emphasised. I really could not understand why one of the principal investigators in GIS would tell you that taking you up as his student is a burden to him.

    ReplyDelete