Monday, April 13, 2009

Kalene's final reflection

Looking back at my first blog post, I realised my blog post is really long...

In any case, my understanding of the value of effective communication skills has not changed since the beginning of this semester. I still believe in effective communication being 2-way and that it involves accurately conveying of intentions across to the other party both verbally, as well as non-verbally.

This module has taught me the pitfalls to avoid when communicating in the workplace, as well as my areas of improvement. Communication in the workplace encompasses written communication, verbal and non-verbal communication. It has also allowed me to have a better awareness of myself when completing the skill builder on discovering self.

I learnt how to write a proper cover letter, construct a great curriculum vitae and how to draft a good report including the right method of conducting survey as well as analysis of survey data. I learnt about the aspects of communication I should be aware of when communicating to people from different cultural background. I learnt about the intricacies of handshake and the proper order of initiating of handshakes during interview.

Over the past 3 months, I have worked on the continuous assessments, blogs and project. The continuous assessments were relevant to my job search and my application for greater opportunities like an overseas summer research programme. The blogs are insightful because I get to be exposed to constructive comments from many people who have interesting perspectives. I had quite a smooth time dealing with the project because I have wonderful group-mates who are conscientious and collaborative.

Overall, this module is informative and fun. I enjoyed myself thoroughly during each of the classes. I also want to thank Christine for being such an open tutor who does not mind being on equal standing as us (no teacher-student relationship because we are allowed to call you by your name). I wish everyone in the class...all the best in your future endeavours!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kalene,

    I can see you'd really put in effort in constructing your final post given the length compared to your first post! :D

    Like you, I got to know myself better after attempting the skills builder and through the comments by our coursemates. Throughout the course, I observed that you have present yourself as a confident and outspoken individual. This is good because i can pick up spme learning points on the way.

    Given your drive in learning and your achievements to date, I'm sure you will go far.

    Cheers!

    Johny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kalene

    I agree with you that after taking this module, it help one to better understand himself/herself. It is through the useful comments made by course mates and through interactions in class and blog.

    This post is not long and nice to read. :) All the best to your future work too, see you around in school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kalene!

    Since learning is also in itself a self-discovery process, I agree that through this module, we have known ourselves a little better. I find that you are one of the more outspoken tut mates in class, and you have a strong intellectual side to you which impresses people. Being a strong go-getter, I'm sure you will succeed in your future endeavours. All the best, and enjoy your honours year. FYP would be very exciting, mind you, hahaha but i'm sure you will overcome those challenges. :-)

    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kalene,

    It's a great opportunity to work with you in the group project as well as in the blogging group. Through your blog posts, I see the mature and intellectual side of you. I also see that you take pride in your work and you showed confidence during presentations.

    Although CAs, blog posts, and project can be time consuming, I agree that we have learnt lots during the process. I believe that learning is two-way and there's no taking without giving. Constructive comments were indeed valuable in helping me with my work.

    Finally, all the best to you in your exam and FYP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kalene,

    Well written post, covered all the bases. I liked your closing statement. It has been great working with you in class, your comments have always been constructive.

    Nice job writing more a more succinct post.

    See you later,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kalene,

    Thank you for your posts, even when it is long at times, as it encourages me to think about your topics everytime I read your posts. I feel that you are correct to point out that unlike most other modules, Christine actually builds up a good rapport with her students.

    Thanks for writing a shorter post. I wish you all the best for your exams and your future final year project with Prof. Liou.

    Regards
    Bernard

    ReplyDelete